Menu

Institutional Profile

YUOE History

 

YUOE is one of the 161 tertiary level universities in Myanmar. It is located at No.
317, Pyay Road, Kamayut, Yangon, Myanmar. The University of Education which
was formerly named the Teacher Training College (TTC) was established in 1931.
TTC came to be known as Faculty of Education of Yangon University in 1946. It
became a degree-awarding professional institute, Yangon Institute of Education, in
1964 when the University Law was enacted. As there are many functions on academic and research fields in the institute, the name Yangon Institute of Education
has been changed into Yangon University of Education since 2014. The natural
charm of YUOE’s two campuses covering 46.49 hectares offers a broad range of
facilities that ensure a very conducive environment for study and recreation. YUOE
has an impressive profile since it was recognized as one of the best regional universities in Science and Education Sphere by the Socrates Committee, Oxford, UK in
2016 and World Confederation of Business (WORLDCOB) conferred “The BIZZ
2017 Business Excellence Award” to YUOE in 2018.

Students’ Union

Students’ Union was formed in YUOE with 417 members in 2016. Its functions involve:

(1) carrying out the tasks to uplift the morale and morality of the entire students in the university,

(2) working collaboratively with other students’ union from other universities and

(3) conducting with community and stake holders.

Teachers’ Union

Teachers’ Union of Yangon University of Education was set up on 6th March 2018. It is anon-political entity composed of 157 teacher educators from YUOE. It is aimed at maintainingand protecting the rights of the teachers from YUOE and their welfare and development.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1929-The AY 1928-29 Report of the Executive Council of the University of Yangon included a proposal for the establishment of a Teachers’ Training College (TTC).

1931 -The Teachers’ Training College (TTC) was established as a constituent college of the college of the University of Yangon in July 1931.With the opening of the new college,the Diploma in Education classes were discontinued. In its place were offered the two-year graduate course leading to the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) and a two-year course for matriculates leading to the University Trained Teacher’ Certificate (U.T.T.C).

1932-A two year certificate course was established to train Kindergarten teacher (using the Montessori Method)

1933 -A three-year physical Training Teacher’ Certificate course was introduced.

1939 -From October 1939 to January 1940,the first educational radio lesson were broadcast. The lesson were broadcast twice a week.

1942 -In April 1942, the second world was reached Myanmar and the college buildings were occupied by the Japanese forces. The TTC was shifted to the Pazundaung municipal school building on October 20.

1943 -The TTC was again shifted to Tsing Tsong palace on Kaba-aye Road (Now, the university of Culture) on February 8.

1944 -B.Ed and U.T.T.C classes were resumed.

1945 -The building, the equipment, the library and Furniture were all destroyed by allied bombing

1946 -Classes were held in Tagaung Hall and Nawaday Hall. The Faculty of Education was established on September 28 and U Ba was appointed professor of Education and Dean of the faculty

1947 -The first state Teachers’ Training College (S.T.T.C) was opened on September 1 and the U.T.T.C. Courses at the university were discontinued. Only the B.Ed. course was offered by the university

1950 -A two -year post intermediate course the Bachelor of Arts in Education -BA.Ed (totalling four years) was offered and was open to those who had obtained their Diploma or B.A.Ed

1952 -U Kun succeed U Ba as Dean of the faculty of Education

1957 -Dr.K. Mya Yee was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Education

1959 -U Ba Myint was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Education

1960 -U Ba Bwa was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Education

1962 -Lt.Colonel San Myint was appointed Dean of the faculty of Education.

1964 -With the enactment of the University Act of 1964, the faculty of Education because the institute of education, Yangon. The Dean of the faculty of Education Lt. Colonel San Myint because the first Rector of the Institute. The five-year pre-service undergraduate B.Ed. course was introduced; the scholastic attainment ( in the Basic Education High School Exacuivation) was very high and surpassed only by those entering medicine and engineering. The Diploma in Education course and the one-year B.Ed course were placed out in AY.1996-97

1968 -The first distance Education was offered at the institute of Education. The B.Ed degree course by correspondence was offered for those with BA.Ed degree or with Diploma in Education

1969 -The two year Master of Arts (M.A) in English was started at the Institute. The M.A(Qualifying) clan was begun the same year

1970 -The Master of Education- M.Ed course was begun at the Institute in AY 1970- 1971. The B.Ed by correspondence course was discontinued and in its stead. the Diploma in Education by correspondence course was introduced. The Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in English was first offered at the Institute

1972 -Professor Dr. Khin Maung Win was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. Dr.Khin Maung Win was formerly professor of philosophy at the University of Yangon

1974 -U Kyaw was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education, U Kyaw was formerly principal of Workers’ College, Yangon

1977 -The first batch of graduates from the Regional college enter the third year of the B.Ed course

1978 -U Thaung Tut was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. U Thaung Tut was formerly Director (Training ) at the Department of Basic Education

1980 -The pre-service undergraduate course was transformed into an service professional two year ‘Second Degree’ programme. The B.A (Honours) in English course was started

1981 -The B.A,B.A(Honours) and M.A in English course are shifted back to the University of Yangon together with the post of professor of English

1981 -The B.A,B.A(Honours) and M.A in English course are shifted back to the University of Yangon together with the post of professor of English

1986 -Dr Ye Aung was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. Dr Ye Aung was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education

1988 -U Khin Maung Tint was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. U Khin Maung Tint was formerly Rector of the University of Mawlamyine. Professor U Oo Tha Gyaw was appointed pro-rector

1989 -Professor U Oo Tha Gyaw was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education U Oo Tha Gyaw was Professor of Methodology and later Pro Rector of the Institute of Education. Professor U Bo Thin was appointed Pro-Rector

1990 -U Myo Nyunt was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. U Myo Nyunt was formerly Principal of the Institute of Foreign Languages, Yangon

1992 -Professor U Han Tin was appointed Rector of the Institute of Education. U Han Tin was formerly Professor of English and Pro-Rector of the University of Yangon. U Kaung Nyunt was appointed Pro-Rector but was transferred to University of Yangon. Institute of Education,Mandalay was established and was administered by the Rector, Institute of Education,Yangon

1993 -Institute of Education, Mandalay became a separate Institute with its own Rector in August. Linkage with University of London, Institute of Education-reciprocal visit by Dr.Elwyn Thomas ,Chairperson, Department of International and Cooperative Education

1996 -Computer Training (6- months) for Teachers held. U Cho was appointed Pro-Rector. U Cho was formerly Principal of Sittwe Degree College

1997 -Computer Training introduced into B.Ed. curriculum. English Language Proficiency Upgrading course (ELPUC) held

1998 -The Centre for Human Resource Development (CHRD-YIOE) was established at the Institute of Education, Yangon. Nine short term courses were offered. The first multi-media classroom for schools was set up at the Institute of Education, Yangon and a four-week Multi-media classroom Training for Teachers was held in October. M.A(TEFL) classes were restarted at the Institute. Board of Trustees was formed for the Practising School

1999 -In addition to the short term English classes, the Diploma in English Language Teaching Methodology (Dip ELTM), the Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching (PGDT) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Multi-media Arts (PGDMA) were opened by the CHRD -YIOE. The Board of Trustees handed over the new three-storeyed building for the Practising School, Institute of Education, Yangon. It was completed in 7 months at a costs of Ks 104 million.

2001
-The in-service professional one-year ‘Second Degree’ programme was discontinued and in its stead, the pre-service four-year and two-year B.Ed programmes were introduced in AY 2001-2002.

2001-2002 The five-year doctoral degree programme in education was first introduced.

2004 Certificate of Educational Technology (CET) Programme open for the purpose of assigning to SAT (Senior Assistant Teacher). The candidate must be a master degree holder from Art S Science University. For the purpose of going onto higher level of the in service teachers, HRD (Human Resources Development Department) has opened M.Phil (Education) course. The candidates can join M.Ed course after finishing 2 years course of M.Phil.

Since 2006, the CET course was discontinued.

The SCET (Special Certificate in Educational Technology) Programme was established for assigning to SAT. In 2007, this programme was discontinued after the 2nd Intake of SCET.

2007 The (SCET) programme was discontinued after 2nd Bath. The PGDT programme was also discontinued after batch No.(9)

In (2011-2012 )AY, B.Ed 4 years Course was added one year and started 5 years Course.

The name of University has been changed from YIOE to YUOE on June 5, 2014.

Up to 2017 in YUOE, there are 69 Ph.D Degree holders, 1336 Master of Education Degree holders, 23552 B.Ed Degree holders, 27048 B.Ed (Correspondence) Degree holders and 78 M.Phil (Education) Degree holders.